The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Male Muscle Growth > Muscle Growth Fantasies and Story Ideas
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Muscle Growth Fantasies and Story Ideas Got a great idea for a muscle growth story or want to share some of your growth fantasies? Post them here!

Poll: What's the best way to describe muscle growth in one story?
Poll Options
What's the best way to describe muscle growth in one story?

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 32 votes, 2.56 average. Display Modes
  #1   Add to Rarity's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 5th, 2013, 09:15 PM
Muscles go with anything~

Rarity is on a distinguished road
How Does One "Deliver" Muscle Growth Scenes?

I have roleplayed since I was 11 so making characters and writing is easy.The roleplays I participated in was on a forum where we would make separate accounts for each character, and flesh out the character. Then we would each make posts in a thread (only one thread per character until that thread is done). So I have basically trained myself to be the queen of typing a shit ton of stuff and making a shit ton of characters with their own personality - although there's only so much one can do in that department. Also, that doesn't mean I'd be the queen of detail when it comes to the actual writing outside of making the character. So what I'm left with is the amazing ability to type semi-coherent sentences at a ridonkulous rate.

*polishes my crown* Bitches be goin' "DAMN GURL YOU TYPE HELLA FAST" when I'm wrecking their biscuits and gravy in PvP. They be gettin' mad and lookin' like a hot mess since I can troll/talk to them midmatch. So they be all like "DAMN GURL, YOU SMOKES TOO MUCH WEEDS! GET OUT!"

Though making a story or outline for one is super easy for me. It's the motivation to write the story or continue with the story that's not so easy. Sometimes connecting the dot from point A to point B is tricky too. . . Without typing too much. #ADDstorywriterproblems

After all of that, I still have trouble with delivering details about changes without feeling too repetitive. It's the number 1 reason why I lose interest in stories because I find myself rewriting the same part over and over again just to make it sound acceptable. I realize people like quality over quantity, and sometimes I put too much quantity over quality. I suppose I could do some grade B rendition of the common muscle growth scene at the very least, but I can't seem to figure out how to deliver it. Do I:

make metaphors?
I think it's easy to compare a growing guy to a big sturdy tree. Bonus points if it's a play on the character's name, name meaning, or a defining characteristic/hobby of his. It seems really over the top some of the time though.

be very vague?
Something along the lines of just saying he is growing larger, naming a few key muscle groups that are growing, and leave it at that. Perhaps toss in how the character is feeling during the transformation or what he sees.

be very specific?
As in, I would mention measurements. Like saying ". . .his skinny arms grew after each flex. 12", 14", 18". . . Finally leveling off at 26" inches of solid meaty muscle."

Or perhaps giving a side to side comparison like "they were 12" around while flexed, but now they're at an impressively thick 26" while unflexed - more than doubled in size!"

focus on key parts?
I see a lot of stories where an onlooking character (the guy who is seeing another guy change) focuses on key parts. Parts such as the arms, pecs, abs, back, or thighs. Almost like it's an unstoppable fascination with whatever parts the writer decides to use. It's a good way to make a steamy story, but would that be enough? Perhaps purposefully leaving a lot of room in between so readers can piece together what the hunk looks like.

Lastly, what an acceptable amount of paragraphs or sentences that should be used in describing a guy changing? I usually do 2~3, but I feel that 3 paragraphs of 6~8 sentences may be pushing it. Especially since they feel so blunt.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to inm's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 6th, 2013, 01:55 AM

inm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to inm
you can't be specific enough, you can't over describe. indulge in details, describe the effect on the audience, the look and feel. Get me in the picture..
  #3   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 6th, 2013, 06:46 AM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ★whim★ View Post
I have roleplayed since I was 11 so making characters and writing is easy.The roleplays I participated in was on a forum where we would make separate accounts for each character, and flesh out the character. Then we would each make posts in a thread (only one thread per character until that thread is done). So I have basically trained myself to be the queen of typing a shit ton of stuff and making a shit ton of characters with their own personality - although there's only so much one can do in that department. Also, that doesn't mean I'd be the queen of detail when it comes to the actual writing outside of making the character. So what I'm left with is the amazing ability to type semi-coherent sentences at a ridonkulous rate.

*polishes my crown* Bitches be goin' "DAMN GURL YOU TYPE HELLA FAST" when I'm wrecking their biscuits and gravy in PvP. They be gettin' mad and lookin' like a hot mess since I can troll/talk to them midmatch. So they be all like "DAMN GURL, YOU SMOKES TOO MUCH WEEDS! GET OUT!"

Though making a story or outline for one is super easy for me. It's the motivation to write the story or continue with the story that's not so easy. Sometimes connecting the dot from point A to point B is tricky too. . . Without typing too much. #ADDstorywriterproblems

After all of that, I still have trouble with delivering details about changes without feeling too repetitive. It's the number 1 reason why I lose interest in stories because I find myself rewriting the same part over and over again just to make it sound acceptable. I realize people like quality over quantity, and sometimes I put too much quantity over quality. I suppose I could do some grade B rendition of the common muscle growth scene at the very least, but I can't seem to figure out how to deliver it. Do I:

make metaphors?
I think it's easy to compare a growing guy to a big sturdy tree. Bonus points if it's a play on the character's name, name meaning, or a defining characteristic/hobby of his. It seems really over the top some of the time though.

be very vague?
Something along the lines of just saying he is growing larger, naming a few key muscle groups that are growing, and leave it at that. Perhaps toss in how the character is feeling during the transformation or what he sees.

be very specific?
As in, I would mention measurements. Like saying ". . .his skinny arms grew after each flex. 12", 14", 18". . . Finally leveling off at 26" inches of solid meaty muscle."

Or perhaps giving a side to side comparison like "they were 12" around while flexed, but now they're at an impressively thick 26" while unflexed - more than doubled in size!"

focus on key parts?
I see a lot of stories where an onlooking character (the guy who is seeing another guy change) focuses on key parts. Parts such as the arms, pecs, abs, back, or thighs. Almost like it's an unstoppable fascination with whatever parts the writer decides to use. It's a good way to make a steamy story, but would that be enough? Perhaps purposefully leaving a lot of room in between so readers can piece together what the hunk looks like.

Lastly, what an acceptable amount of paragraphs or sentences that should be used in describing a guy changing? I usually do 2~3, but I feel that 3 paragraphs of 6~8 sentences may be pushing it. Especially since they feel so blunt.
These are all good questions about technique. What I think you are missing, however, is the focus on the story itself. In my experience, as a guy, I can bust a nut over loving descriptions of bodyparts and growth, but then...it's over! What do I care about the rest of it? The idea behind the story, the motivation or the clever way the idea is expressed or the way that expectations are set up and then suddenly reversed, are what make it work for me.

For example, a typical story on this forum might start off like this:
Setting: modern day, suburban house
Characters: teenagers or young adults in their 20s, with authority figures to play against: Mom/Dad/Coach/teachers/other students
"problems": Main character is gay or closeted, skinny or fat, a--hole jock with a major personality disorder or sadistic streak, loveable doormat with a nonexistent self image, etc.
"plot": 1. straight muscle growth: magic potion/gypsy curse/meteorite/No-particular-reason-just happens. Ooh aww bust a nut. Resolution
2. Involvement of one character with another - growth, shrinkage, bust a nut, resolution
3. Plot is blatant rip off of some recent show, usually involving demons, other worlds, veiled references to "other worlds or dimensions". Muscle growth at a terrible price, without actually involving any physical workouts in a gym. Bust a nut, resolution.
4. First person narration: very effective set up, particularly in helping the reader to identify with growth or shrinkage, revenge or suffering. Bust a nut, resolution.
5. Humor: Not often used, but when well done, it is tremendously effective and entertaining. Rummaging around in my brain, I'm trying to think of the authors who've used this; I think Aardvark, There was one series about the genius guy who goes through second puberty and has super sperm that will repopulate the world with a new improved human race. Very funny and great descriptions. My own story, *ahem* "The Model" where I use the current celebrity annointing process to poke a sharp stick at the whole celebrity/worship culture in both gay and straight realms.
6. Sci-fi. Excellent example of this is "Reset" by RPJ. A character goes through recent history and is present at critical moments to change history, like the Dallas School book depository, etc. Muscle growth in there too.
7. Fantasy: recent efforts (sorry can't remember name) where there is a quasi-medieval setting with knights or serfs of old with muscles bold. Bust a nut, resolution.
8. cool muscle growth: My favorite here, hands down: Absman420's "MilkMan" -muscle growth induced by sucking milk from another muscleman's lactating chest. Sounds gross, but pushes a lot of buttons. Bust a nut, resolution.

My windy and wordy point: the story is what drives the reader's interest. The mechanics you mention are the window dressing. The window dressing can be a lot of fun, but the story is what you remember.

Thank you for raising a serious point about muscle growth literature. As a sometime author and frequest audience member, I enjoy it!

Mdlftr
  #4   Add to Rarity's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 6th, 2013, 02:01 PM
Muscles go with anything~

Rarity is on a distinguished road
I have no problem with the actual story since stories are just comprised of cliches and/or tropes. Or at least I think I don't, since the three stories I followed through turned out OK enough for late night endeavors. Those ones being:

A Strange Fate
Dragon's Curse
Dragon's Curse 2

Even on the ones I tiptoed around (which there's quite a few) or just did for muscle growth practice actually netted me some PMs saying how people liked the story(stories). Which just leave me going "how could anyone like that story aaaaaaaaa what?"

Muscle growth is basically the main focus, so therefore it should be as good as the rest of the story. It should also be good enough to warrant a longer story. Otherwise it may get boring quite fast to most readers.
  #5   Add to cutlerfan's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 6th, 2013, 04:23 PM
Master of Muscle RP

cutlerfan has disabled reputation
I think the description is variable based on what elements are present in the story. If you are writing a story focusing mostly on bursting through clothes you can be more vague about muscle details since they are hidden by muscle; until the clothes burst. If you are doing unclothed growth especially complete nudity you have to be sure and describe all that you can such as the appearance of skin, if sweat is present, size of muscles etc. I like to use size descriptions that are either exact measurements or give an easy to imagine size like grapefruit, orange, baseball etc. One thing I try to do is vary the growth terms so I don't repeat myself. I try to use each word like expanded or swelled only once in a particular growth scene. You also have to know your audience. A group of guys who like cut/ripped muscle will probably not be so interested in muscle guts for example. Get to know the preferences of the site where you show your stories. Furries, giants, muscle theft, and other types of growth stories will be more or less popular depending on where you post them. Sometimes your story can be so evocative that people can enjoy the story and its descriptions even if it isn't their favorite genre. Above all else though WRITE WHAT YOU LIKE and the rest should fall into place a bit more easily. I'm not a published author but I hope these ideas are something for you to think about. Good Luck!
P.S.- Role play can help with focusing your imagination; just remember to flesh out the story with all the prerequisite explanatory terms like "he wondered" or "Jeff said" to help the reader follow who is saying what. Such niceties aren't needed in a role play but are essential in a story.

Last edited by cutlerfan; January 6th, 2013 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Indent Error
  #6   Add to Jaypat's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 7th, 2013, 06:49 AM

Jaypat will become famous soon enough
It doesn't work that way

There is no formula for this, no standard way of doing things. Sure you could create one, but then your stories would most likely be dull and plodding. You really just have to go with it, trust your instincts and write the growth description that fits the situation. Sometimes metaphors are good. Sometimes numbers do it. Most often I use a mixture. And I would agree with a previous poster that you can never have enough detail and vagueness is almost never a good thing. Also, put the reader inside the head of your main character so we can feel what they?re feeling, weather they are experiencing growth or witnessing it.

But you have to remember you are writing erotic fiction. This is not an intellectual pursuit. It?s far more visceral. If you are aroused by what you are writing, odds are your audience will be too. If you?re not, you?re doing something wrong.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaypat For This Useful Post:
Lucas88 (January 7th, 2013)
  #7   Add to Lucas88's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 7th, 2013, 09:15 AM

Lucas88 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Lucas88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypat View Post
There is no formula for this, no standard way of doing things. Sure you could create one, but then your stories would most likely be dull and plodding. You really just have to go with it, trust your instincts and write the growth description that fits the situation. Sometimes metaphors are good. Sometimes numbers do it. Most often I use a mixture. And I would agree with a previous poster that you can never have enough detail and vagueness is almost never a good thing. Also, put the reader inside the head of your main character so we can feel what they’re feeling, weather they are experiencing growth or witnessing it.

But you have to remember you are writing erotic fiction. This is not an intellectual pursuit. It’s far more visceral. If you are aroused by what you are writing, odds are your audience will be too. If you’re not, you’re doing something wrong.
What Jaypat said.

As soon as you pigeon-hole yourself (as in the GENERAL YOU that write stories) into a "standard formula", your work becomes repetitive and predictable. I know some writers that use an outline and are great at filling out the story. I know others that just write and see where the story goes. Using the formula (or lack thereof) that works for you is what's key.

How you present the story is driven by the action and the characters and their interaction. I know a lot of authors who take the less descriptive approach have the mindset of "I'm leaving it to the reader's imagination" and sometimes that works. More often than not, in my experience, that comes across as a copout for not doing the work. I know what's in my head...I want to see what the author is visualizing when I read muscle-related work to maybe give me something new. Putting some description that gives some kind of frame of reference to compare to gives me more insight into what's in the author's head. Also, a lot of readers are going to impose their imaginations onto the story anyway so, don't worry about them.

As far as numbers, it's a crapshoot. Some readers can take a number for a measurement or a weight and visualize exactly how big that is (because they're good at comparisons in their head using their own frames of reference) while others can't. Use a line like "the biceps on that arm are the size of a FOOTBALL...and that's just the BICEPS" is easier for more visually-, less numerically-oriented readers to comprehend. You're never going to satisfy everyone so focus on what works for you and on what feedback "clicks" with you about your stories, but don't be afraid to mix it up and explore.

One of my biggest pet peeves is one-way perception. If the story is written in the first person, you're by default limited to what's in the main character's head, so one-way is okay. But, if you're writing in the third person, you have a great opportunity to "flesh out" the description by coming at it from two or more perspectives. Yeah, it's more work but, it's an opening to include a lot more description as to what multiple people are seeing and feeling about the action going on. The critical thing here is being clear on whose head your in at the moment.

When you're dealing with the "key parts" concept, a lot of that would be driven by what's initiating the muscle growth in the first place. I'm a mechanically-oriented person so, I'm not a strong believer in body parts "blowing up like balloons" one muscle at a time (TOTAL personal preference on my part). You can get carried away with detail but sticking with the major muscle groups can give a decent visual on the overall growth. I think from the mindset of start with the biggest and go toward the "smaller" major muscle groups in the descriptive process, BUT...again that's driven by whatever initiates the change.

Great thread topic and LOTS of great opinions!

I think the most important message I'm seeing in the responses is, don't restrict yourself to one "process." Be opportunistic and play on different aspects of your story as it develops.
  #8   Add to nypup2train's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 10th, 2013, 06:56 AM

nypup2train is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to nypup2train Send a message via Yahoo to nypup2train
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas88 View Post
What Jaypat said.
Agreed. For basically every one of the options you listed, there's at least one story on this site (or in The Archive) that's a great example of that style of growth "scene". However, that being said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas88 View Post
I know a lot of authors who take the less descriptive approach have the mindset of "I'm leaving it to the reader's imagination" and sometimes that works. More often than not, in my experience, that comes across as a copout for not doing the work. I know what's in my head...I want to see what the author is visualizing when I read muscle-related work to maybe give me something new.
Also agreed. There are, I'm sure (in keeping with my previous statement) at least a few stories that go the "be very vague" route and make it work for them, but those are definitely the exception. Most of the time, a big part of what makes a story "work" in the growth genre is to linger on the details, to spend as much time as you can stand slowly and sensuously going over the descriptions ? whether they're physical, mental, emotional, what have you. "Vague" translates to "feels rushed" in the vast majority of instances.

The way I see it, the simplest / most obvious "categorization"(?) of how growth scenes can play out ? and, again, these are all perfectly good ways to write a story, and there are many great examples of each of them ? would be first- vs. third-person. That decision doesn't really affect the type of growth scene you write all that much, but it shapes everything about exactly how it's written. (Second-person is also an option, and probably not used often enough. Except on CYOC, where it should be the default, and isn't used nearly enough! )

Regardless of what POV you write the story from, the next most obvious grouping is what you're describing about the growth ? whether you focus on the purely physical changes the growing body is undergoing, how it feels for someone to undergo those physical changes, what the person is thinking as they're growing (and reacting to their growth), or what they're feeling as they grow (emotionally ? totally different from how the changes physically feel). Or any and all combinations.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options