The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Male Muscle Growth > Real-Life Muscle Growth Experiences
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Yesterday at 11:53 PM

Notices

Real-Life Muscle Growth Experiences Got a friend who went from geek to stud? (Or was that YOU who got huge?) Share your real-life muscle growth experiences.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 48 votes, 3.17 average. Display Modes
  #161   Add to ottomun6's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 21st, 2004, 07:26 PM

ottomun6
Send a message via Yahoo to ottomun6
Cool

ooh! I just remembered another sighting from the past. I was in Salt Lake City on business and stocking up on groceries. I was in the checkout line and saw a big buffed guy (about 6' and 235-240 lbs) he had a white t-shirt clinging to those mounds of his. Unfortunately, he didn't see me as far as I know. I would have loved to give him the ol "acknowledgement nod" (you know, I'm buffed--you're buffed, if we had a chance, we should train together look)

P.S. Glammaman2000, I know what you mean about those uncertain steps in the early days, I had it too. Maybe a lot of guys are that way

Last edited by ottomun6; May 21st, 2004 at 07:32 PM.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #162   Add to Notbigenuff's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 21st, 2004, 09:52 PM

Notbigenuff
Send a message via AIM to Notbigenuff Send a message via Yahoo to Notbigenuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomun6
Glammaman2000, I know what you mean about those uncertain steps in the early days, I had it too. Maybe a lot of guys are that way
I think Glammaman2000's concerns are the same ones that kept me from "de-cloaking" earlier. But, I have to say that, so far the experience has been fun. And you won't be able to shut me up either--for a while at least.
  #163   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 22nd, 2004, 12:24 PM

brent has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to brent Send a message via Yahoo to brent
So when do we get pics?

It sounds like you have a very good build there Glamma. I think we are all getting interested in seeing the man behind the posts. I'm sure any of us would gladly scan photos for you. Also, most film developers will give you a disk with your pics in .jpeg format.
  #164   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 22nd, 2004, 05:43 PM

glammaman2000
Send a message via Yahoo to glammaman2000
soon,soon,soon!

RyBear ATL is gonna help me out(&he's a BIG bear!have you seen his pix?)please be warned,the stats in my profile are competition stats.i'm sure most of you guys are sophisticated to know that most"before&after"pix are really"after&before&after"pix.i.e.,they get a big guy to go to seed&get it back(WAY easier than getting it in the first place!)the 1st pix will be from the"seed"cycle.but,as i used to tell clients when i was a personal trainer"you have to work through the initial humiliation".&i know that having to report to the crew&the chance to show-off will be just what i need!looking forward to it!
  #165   Add to ottomun6's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 23rd, 2004, 09:10 AM

ottomun6
...an-ti-ci-pa-tion, ...an-ti-ci-paaaa-tion, its keepin me wa-iting,

Ok, Glammaman we shall be patient for those pics. But I wouldn't delay it too much, I understand Rybear pulls trees out of the ground for fun. you probably wouldn't want HIM to get impatient
  #166   Add to latinherc's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 23rd, 2004, 10:49 AM

latinherc is on a distinguished road
my sighting from last night. I went to the cinema we take our seats (me an a Friend)and in the ront seat was a lonely girl, looking after her boyfriend.
The movie started and the guy arrived offcourse obscuring my point of vision, but i was blinded for a silhouette of two big sets of pecs and huge arms. When he turned my jaw dropped to se the widest back to a really small waist.
I cant wait to the movie to finish and the light come on.
When it finally happens i can see detailed at theguy who was no more than 20yo and have worked the hell on this uopperbody but negledted the lower which offer a good trace of his old veeery skinny body. His arms were easily 17 or 18 inches and his waist no more than 28. His back was really wide and his t shirt was really straining.
  #167   Add to ottomun6's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 23rd, 2004, 11:26 AM

ottomun6
Hmm, muscleman in the movie theater. Were the seat backs the low style? where you could see his shoulders and traps?

I probably mentioned this in a previous thread, but a friend of mine told me several years ago that he sat behind Dennis Newman the bodybuilder at a contest. He said it was unbelievable how wide he was and the size of his shoulders. Dennis was so big that his shoulders were sticking into the seats on either side.

Last edited by ottomun6; May 23rd, 2004 at 11:33 AM.
  #168   Add to RyBearATL's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 23rd, 2004, 12:40 PM

RyBearATL
Quote:
...But I wouldn't delay it too much, I understand Rybear pulls trees out of the ground for fun. you probably wouldn't want HIM to get impatient
Damn, who told you about my landscaping habit!?!?

<g>
  #169   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 23rd, 2004, 06:26 PM

Thanked 1,305 Times in 370 Posts
arpeejay will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to arpeejay
Oh, get over it, RyBear. We all know you're the perfect hunkstud and that requisite perfecting gardening habits are willy-nilly part of your hunkstudly portfolio.

xoxo

richard
  #170   Add to Notbigenuff's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 23rd, 2004, 07:01 PM

Notbigenuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by latinherc
upper body but negledted the lower which offer a good trace of his old veeery skinny body. His arms were easily 17 or 18 inches and his waist no more than 28. His back was really wide and his t shirt was really straining.
Sigh, why won't they learn ? As great looking as big arms, wide back, huge chest, and small waist are--they all look better when supported by strong legs!
  #171   Add to Bull's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 23rd, 2004, 11:10 PM

Bull
Send a message via AIM to Bull Send a message via Yahoo to Bull
I can vouch for that about Newman, Ottomun. I spoke with him three years ago, and he took my breath away. Even in his present condition, he has the widest shoulders I have ever seen.
  #172   Add to Notbigenuff's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 24th, 2004, 06:22 AM

Notbigenuff
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull
I can vouch for that about Newman, Ottomun. I spoke with him three years ago, and he took my breath away. Even in his present condition, he has the widest shoulders I have ever seen.
Bull, can you tell us more about his present condition? I don't know if you've seen him recently but I recall that he had some health problems (leukemia) and wondered how he's doing. Don't see much about him now that he doesn't compete.
  #173   Add to Bull's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 24th, 2004, 08:14 AM

Bull
Well, as I said, it's been three years since I saw him, but at that time he looked to me to be carrying around 250 lbs; not ripped of course, but certainly not fat. He was sort-of apologetic about how he looked, which was laughable, as he still looks better than 90% of men. But I guess when you have been good enough to win the USA, it is hard to accept being "less." His health was fine; that is, his leukemia was in complete remission. His shoulder width is amazing; he must have extremely long clavicles. I can't imagine what they must have looked like when he was at his biggest. He is also still stunningly handsome.

Since then he has done some lame-looking movie where he plays the bad guy, an anti-steroid diatribe it looks like; but I don't think it was ever released. His hair was bleached blond for it, I remember.
  #174   Add to RadRx's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 24th, 2004, 11:38 AM

RadRx has disabled reputation
Send a message via Yahoo to RadRx
At his biggest Dennis was amazing in person. I used to see him at Powerhouse in Huntington Beach in the early 90's. He constantly wore a pair of lavender/purple tie-dyed workout shorts that were skin tight. I'm guessing he knew that no one would ever question him at that size.

On another note, I read about an exercise that was supposed to help increase shoulder width. It was a deadlift type of exercise where the lifter would hold the weight by the lip of the plate (recommended using 5-10# plates since the point of the exercise was not the same as a regular deadlift) Anyone else ever hear of this?

RadRx
  #175   Add to ottomun6's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 24th, 2004, 12:52 PM

ottomun6
RadRx , I'm thinking that sounds like a shoulder raise exercise (you hold the weights straight out to the sides, right?) There are always going to be variations of exercises. That's one of them.

Shoulder exercises themselves can build up the shoulders and give the impression of extra width (and actually, the thicker you can make the lateral or sides of your shoulders, you actually will be wider)
(god knows I wish it were possible to change the length of bones, I'd be wider than Dennis Newman and 6'6" )

Bull, I only wish I had met Dennis Newman myself. The last I remember hearing about him, he was doing well. But that also had to be a while ago. I'm just now trying to get over hearing about Tom Prince leaving the realm of 310+ lb bodybuilders.
  #176   Add to RadRx's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 24th, 2004, 01:37 PM

Actually the arms from a trapezoid (shoulders and bar are the parallel sides). No shrugging motions were described - just a deadlift motion.
  #177   Add to Bull's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 24th, 2004, 01:41 PM

Bull
Yeah, it's sad about Prince, Ottomun. I remember seeing a picture of him years ago and saying: "There's one to watch." He had an amazing shape back then. But I think he made a mistake trying to be so big. All it gave him was a big gut that ruined the visual impact of his proportions. And staying "on" for years, doing ever-higher doses, without getting blood tests? How stupid can you get? He could have gotten just as much size using lesser amounts with regular breaks, and monitored his blood. He should have known better.

To be honest, I think I made a fool of myself over Newman; lol. I had no idea he was going to be at the show, and I turned around and he was about one foot behind me. I about had a heart attack! And then I babbled. I've been around more than my share of famous bodybuilders and other celebrities, and I am usually underwhelmed; but Newman is beyond beautiful. It must be how Reeves used to affect people. I've heard stories, from a guy who knew him, that Reeves used to literally stop traffic in L.A. Newman is like that. Just stunning.

The only other bodybuilder who has overwhelmed me was Greg Kovacs; not beacuse of his looks, but his sheer size. I am 6'3", and so I am usually looking down at a bodybuilder's bald spot; but Kovacs is my height, and when I saw him, a very hard 335 or so. His body looks like shit now, but then, it was amazing. Not the kind pf physique that does well in competition, nor should it; but staggering in it's size. Staring up at him from the first row as he posed was the "worship" experience to the tenth power. He's also a very nice guy with an easy-going masculinity that is very seductive. Unfortunately, his wife is velcroed to his side; can you blame her?
  #178   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 24th, 2004, 03:18 PM

Uh...

I missed the news about Tom Prince. What is it? Feel free to reply privately to me ([email protected]) if it's too depressing.

rpj
  #179   Add to Notbigenuff's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 24th, 2004, 03:23 PM

Notbigenuff
Guess I missed hearing any news about Tom Prince myself--as an English major in college myself I always felt he would be a kindred spirit.

On bumping into pro bodybuilders at shows though, I've only been to two amatuer competitions myself but the one was produced (is that the right word) by Bev Francis and there were a few of the "big boys" at that one--including Flex Wheeler not too long after his auto accident I believe, since he was asked to get on stage and thanked everyone for their well wishes while he recovered. He obviously wasn't in contest shape, but gosh! I only wish I could carry my extra weight as well as he does!
  #180   Add to ottomun6's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 24th, 2004, 04:58 PM

ottomun6
Big Tom Prince

Yeah, Tom Prince recently announced his retirement from the competitive world of bodybuilding in the May '04 Flex magazine. Basically, his kidneys failed a year earlier he managed to get them back up to the 90% functional level, but he got the realization that this could shorten his life. He knew his share of fellow competitors that died or had close calls. And since he has a family, he made a wise choice to drop out. He says he will be keeping his weight at a lean 240 lbs.
Bull, I'm surprised that he didn't give his body some recovery time too. From his literary and poetry background, you'd think he'd be the first one to stop and analyze his health. It may be late, but at least he has given himself a chance to be around. At 5'9" he managed to build up his muscles to compete at 276 lbs ripped and off season he went to 310. As much as I love seeing guys grow to immence proportions, I think we all prefer them to use caution because we want to have them around to oggle at
And I was also amazed at the concept of Greg Kovacs I thought he would be one of the first 400+lb contest weight bodybuilders, but now that I see him in the magazines now, it looks like he is having a bad time with several areas like his legs, chest and arms. I don't know if its just genetics or maybe some injuries?

RadRx, I'll admit I haven't heard of that specific exercise, anybody else heard of it?

Last edited by ottomun6; May 24th, 2004 at 05:05 PM.
  #181   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 24th, 2004, 05:06 PM

Thanks for the update, Ottomun. I was VERY afraid that it would be news of the Momo Benazizza, Andreas Munzer, Scott Klein sort, and I really didn't want to hear that today. I've always had a major pash for Mr. Prince.

rpj
  #182   Add to Bull's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 24th, 2004, 07:37 PM

Bull
No arpeejay, Tom is OK now, he just won't be competing anymore. He had a very close call, and was on dialysis for a while. Then he tried to compete one last time, and didn't make it through the pre-judging. Getting that "dry" is a no-no for someone with dicey kidneys.
  #183   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 24th, 2004, 09:48 PM

400+ lbs!

Quote:
And I was also amazed at the concept of Greg Kovacs I thought he would be one of the first 400+lb contest weight bodybuilders, but now that I see him in the magazines now, it looks like he is having a bad time with several areas like his legs, chest and arms. I don't know if its just genetics or maybe some injuries?
Did he ever make it that big? Damn that would be amazing to see!
  #184   Add to Bull's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 24th, 2004, 10:40 PM

Bull
No, Kovacs never competed at anything like that weight, though he was 300+ in contests; amazing enough.
  #185   Add to ottomun6's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 25th, 2004, 11:02 AM

ottomun6
Cool pectoral major

Heh-heh! umm, I think I almost caused a small accident today. There was a guy in a T-bird driving as I was walking down the walkway toward the curb. I have made a little progress on my pecs the past few weeks and the shirt I had on kind of showed them off a bit.
I noticed the car suddenly jerk at the last second as it almost hit the curb
These things are going to be dangerous
  #186   Add to Bull's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 25th, 2004, 11:19 AM

Bull
Ottomun, do you have a license for those weapons? You'd better keep them concealed!
  #187   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 25th, 2004, 12:39 PM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
pec progress

Ottomun,

So would those be "D" or "E" cups?

Mdlftr
  #188   Add to ottomun6's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 25th, 2004, 01:59 PM

ottomun6
Well Bull, I thought they were concealed, I guess the outline is just enough to get attention. And come to think of it, a kid (about 19 or 20) walking up the walkway gave me a bit of a lookover and a very warm hello as we passed.... ohmigod! maybe I should have these things registered!!

Mdlftr, I'm thinking I'm still only a "C" cup because I can still "see" over them
  #189   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 25th, 2004, 02:18 PM

glammaman2000
...you can still see?

...quick!are My Shoes The Same Color?!!
  #190   Add to ottomun6's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 25th, 2004, 02:43 PM

ottomun6
Cool

Oh well, guess I better get back to the gym. Gotta work on developing that "blind spot"!

Man, I would [COLOR=Red]love [/COLOR] that!
  #191   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 25th, 2004, 07:36 PM

Bounce your boobies

All this "Pec-talk" is making me think of the theme song that Randi Rhodes plays at the start of her show, "Bounce Your Boobies". A very funny song!
  #192   Add to Notbigenuff's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 25th, 2004, 08:14 PM

Notbigenuff
What fun!

Quote:
These things are going to be dangerous
And isnt' this what so many of us are striving for? Congrats!

By the way, try not to flex at the same time you are showing off those pecs--you could cause some serious traffic jams!
  #193   Add to ottomun6's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 25th, 2004, 08:52 PM

ottomun6
You know, I'm normally a tad introverted. I wonder what it would be like to being a real extrovert and actually trying to attract attention with my pecs. hmm
  #194   Add to Notbigenuff's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 25th, 2004, 08:56 PM

Notbigenuff
Quote:
You know, I'm normally a tad introverted. I wonder what it would be like to being a real extrovert and actually trying to attract attention with my pecs. hmm
Oddly enough I get the feeling that the world is abou to find out! Have fun big guy!
  #195   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 26th, 2004, 12:07 PM

Ottomun6, I doubt if you are that much of an introvert, you always have a lot to say here! However, if you really are one, gaining some muscle should counter that as people will notice (like you mentioned earlier) and they will pull you out of your shell.
  #196   Add to ottomun6's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 26th, 2004, 08:11 PM

ottomun6
Thanks Brent, I sort of think of myself as a quiet guy going through a twelve step system to being comfortably open and outgoing.
  #197   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 26th, 2004, 10:40 PM

glammaman2000
brent is right!

...get bigger,people WILL notice you&they will pull you out of your shirt!
  #198   Add to RadRx's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 27th, 2004, 01:30 PM

Ottomon:

I've heard of that 12-step program, but mine usually consists of 12 steps from the door to the bar.
  #199   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 27th, 2004, 03:24 PM

ridiculous pecs

So I'm on break from my class today, talking to someone outside my classroom as a student from some other class walks by. At first I was taken aback by how muscular he looked, but something was wrong. I looked closer, and noticed that although he had amazing pecs, he had no other muscle group developed! He looked ridiculous, and sad, but his shirt hang great!
  #200   Add to Notbigenuff's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 27th, 2004, 07:52 PM

Notbigenuff
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent
and noticed that although he had amazing pecs, he had no other muscle group developed!
I gotta wonder how he accomplished this particular type of development. My experience is that to build a big chest, you need to do "big" bench presses. In addition to chest development, presses also develop the triceps and other muscles. I got to my largest arm measurements when I was benching my heaviest.

Just one of life's little mysteries I suppose...

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options